Subject: Re: bug#13928: VPATH issues with subdir-objects

From: Bert Wesarg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 15:39:18 +0100

> Regarding the actual bug: without knowing much (yet!) about the relevant
> Automake internals, I'm a bit surprised that
>
>   src = src
>   foo_SOURCES = $(src)/foo.c
>
> fails with subdir-objects, but on the other hand
>
>   src = src/foo.c
>   foo_SOURCES = $(src)
>
> seems to work just fine...

That's because automake expands entries in _SURCES which are only
variable references. It needs to because of AM_CONDITIONAL. In case
the value of _SOURCES is subject to an condition, the conditional
source file name is stored in an intermediate variable but the actual
assignment happens only if the condition is TRUE. But the intermediate
variable is unconditionally added to the _SOURCES variable.

Bert

> Cheers,