Subject: 24.2; Recompile and compile-environment

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 10:13:34 +0100

This bug report will be sent to the Bug-GNU-Emacs mailing list
and the GNU bug tracker at debbugs.gnu.org.  Please check that
the From: line contains a valid email address.  After a delay of up
to one day, you should receive an acknowledgement at that address.

Please write in English if possible, as the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators for other languages.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug, and
the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give a recipe
starting from `emacs -Q':

This lisp code starts a compilation with the provided environment:

  (let ((compilation-environment '("FOO=BAR")))
    (compile "printenv"))

Typing 'g' or 'M-x recompile' in the *compilation* buffer starts
another compilation with the same environment.  This is evident since
the printenv output includes FOO=BAR.

However, typing 'M-x recompile' in some other buffer will not use the same
environment as the first compilation.  FOO=BAR is no longer present.

This behaviour may be a bug or a feature.  However, in my opinion it
renders the combination of 'compilation-environment' and 'recompile'
somewhat useless.

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
c:/Apps/emacs-24.2/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601)
 of 2012-08-29 on MARVIN
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.6) --cflags
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/include'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: SVE
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Compilation

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
t i o n - e n v i r o n m e n t SPC " F O O = M-b C-b 
C-k ' ( F O O <backspace> <M-backspace> " F O O = B 
A R " ) ) ) <return> <tab> SPC <backspace> ( c o m 
p i l e SPC " <backspace> <backspace> C-h f <return> 
C-x 1 SPC " p r i n g e n <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
t e n v " ) ( <backspace> ) C-a C-o C-k C-p C-o C-p 
C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-k C-k C-k C-k 
C-k C-k C-k C-k C-k C-k C-k C-k C-k C-k C-k C-k <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-movement> <mouse-1> C-f C-j C-x o C-n C-n C-n 
C-s F O O C-e C-f M-> M-< M-> M-< M-> g C-s F O O C-e 
C-f M-x r e v <backspace> c o m p i l e <return> C-s 
C-s C-s C-x o M-x M-p C-g <return> ( r e c o m p i 
l e ) C-j C-x o C-s C-s C-e C-f C-h k g C-x o C-x k 
<return> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-movement> <mouse-1> C-x m l a t s <backspace> 
<backspace> r s @ n o c r e w . o r g C-n t e s t C-n 
C-n C-n t e s t <return> C-c C-c ? C-g C-e C-f C-c 
C-c s m t p <return> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> <mouse-1> s m p <backspace> 
t p . g o o g l e m a i l . c o m <return> <down-mouse-1> 
<drag-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> M-x r e p o 
r t - e m a <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Sending via mail...
Saving file c:/Users/extlb/AppData/Roaming/.emacs...
Wrote c:/Users/extlb/AppData/Roaming/.emacs [2 times]
Saving file c:/Users/extlb/AppData/Roaming/.emacs...
Wrote c:/Users/extlb/AppData/Roaming/.emacs [2 times]
Saving file c:/Users/extlb/AppData/Roaming/.emacs...
Wrote c:/Users/extlb/AppData/Roaming/.emacs [2 times]
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) GnuTLS library not found
smtpmail-send-it: Sending failed: 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. v7sm4274146lbg.13 - gsmtp
Mark set

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug network-stream starttls tls mailalias smtpmail cus-edit
wid-edit sendmail mail-extr sort message format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader vc-git vc-bzr
vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs vc-dir ewoc add-log log-view pcvs-util
idlwave imenu idlwave-help idlw-help mule-util debug pp compile shell
pcomplete comint ansi-color lpr cus-start cus-load browse-url url-util
url-parse auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv
macroexp assoc gnus-util password-cache url-vars mm-util mail-prsvr
diff-mode vc ediff-merg ediff-diff ediff-wind ediff-help ediff-util
ediff-mult ediff-init ediff vc-dispatcher make-mode dired nxml-uchnm
rng-xsd xsd-regexp rng-cmpct rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri
rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns
nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap nxml-util nxml-glyph nxml-enc xmltok info
sh-script executable dabbrev etags tmm electric conf-mode newcomment
misearch multi-isearch cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs regexp-opt vc-hg help-mode
easymenu view multiple-cursors mc-insert-numbers rectangular-region-mode
mc-mark-more thingatpt mc-cycle-cursors mc-edit-lines
multiple-cursors-core easy-mmode edmacro kmacro advice help-fns
advice-preload rect jka-compr winner ring time cl time-date tooltip
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 disp-table ls-lisp
w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs
button faces cus-face files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process multi-tty emacs)