Subject: bug#13920: documentning link_all_deplibs on Debian

From: Дилян Палаузов<[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2013 22:04:09 +0200

Hello,

In regards of libtool bug #13920 and debian bug #702737 I kindly ask you 
to update the documentation of libtool in aspect of link_all_deplibs, 
with something like the text below.  I consider this as essential, as it 
would have saved me quite some (from my free) time investigating why the 
linking on Debian works differently/not according to the documentation. 
  A proper documentation of link_all_deplibs on different systems, will 
safe the time of other developers investigating the same issue.

diff --git a/doc/libtool.texi b/doc/libtool.texi
index c06ddaa..ec0d926 100644
--- a/doc/libtool.texi
+++ b/doc/libtool.texi
@@ -6938,6 +6938,9 @@ the file name that the linker finds when given 
@option{-l@var{name}}.
  Whether libtool must link a program against all its dependency libraries.
  Set to @samp{yes} or @samp{no}.  Default is @samp{unknown}, which is
  a synonym for @samp{yes}.
+
+On Debian and Ubuntu systems the default is @samp{no}.  As a side effect,
+transitive dependencies which rely on @samp{yes} will break.
  @end defvar

  @defvar link_static_flag