Subject: Re: bug#13918: polytonic Greek on Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 23:54:21 +0200

> Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 15:31:02 +0000
> From: Grant Reaber <[email-masked]>
> 
> Windows provides a native method of entering polytonic Greek via its
> polytonic Greek keyboard.  This keyboard, which is based on the keyboard
> used in Greece, is well integrated with the operating system and works
> in almost all Windows applications.  Emacs should support it since it is
> the standard way to input polytonic Greek on Windows (and, moreover, in
> my opinion, it is a well-designed input method).  Unfortunately, it
> unexpectedly fails to work in Emacs.  For instance, I can enter ᾶ (a
> lower case alpha with a circumflex accent) by
> typing '[a', but in emacs doing that just produces a question mark.

Please try the latest pretest version of Emacs 24.3, I'm quite sure
this is fixed there.

> There is a related possible inconvenience that I have noted connected
> with using Emacs to edit texts in polytonic Greek.  Namely, there are a
> lot of commands that I don't remember the key combinations for and run
> using M-x, but it is necessary to switch back to the Latin keyboard to
> run any of these commands.  Since no Emacs commands have Greek names, it
> would be convenient if Emacs switched to the Latin keyboard
> automatically in this context (and any other context where Latin input
> is likely to be required).

Patches are welcome to implement this (assuming it's possible).