Subject: Re: bug#13918: polytonic Greek on Windows

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 08:25:03 +0200

(The reported bug was apparently fixed here, but then there was a
feature request:)

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> There is a related possible inconvenience that I have noted connected
>> with using Emacs to edit texts in polytonic Greek.  Namely, there are a
>> lot of commands that I don't remember the key combinations for and run
>> using M-x, but it is necessary to switch back to the Latin keyboard to
>> run any of these commands.  Since no Emacs commands have Greek names, it
>> would be convenient if Emacs switched to the Latin keyboard
>> automatically in this context (and any other context where Latin input
>> is likely to be required).
>
> Patches are welcome to implement this (assuming it's possible).

Switching to a different input method in the minibuffer sounds sensible
with this keyboard, but there's already a general method to do that:

(add-hook 'minibuffer-setup-hook (lambda () (set-input-method "whatever")))

So I don't think there's anything further to be done in this bug report,
and I'm closing it.  If there's something that should receive further
attention here, opening a new bug report about input methods (where
Latin text is expected) might be a good idea.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no