Subject: bug#13912: Feedback on coreutils 8.13

From: "Ellis N. Thomas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 18:20:05 +0000

Bob,

	Thanks for your reply.  Actually I don't think details of MacOS itself
matter very much.  In this case I am using it at the Unix level, using  
xterm.
The Mac windows interface runs on top of the Darwin Unix kernel.  At  
xterm
level, much of the available set of commands seems to be Gnu derived
anyway, such as

bash --version
GNU bash, version 3.2.17(1)-release (i386-apple-darwin9.0)

gcc --version
i686-apple-darwin9-gcc-4.0.1 (GCC) 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5465)

	As included in my original message, the use of "make check"
reported an error, that might be new for this Darwin release,
"FAIL: install/install-C".

	In addition, failures that were already described in the README
from coreutils 8.13 for Darwin 9.1 were not reported for Darwin 9.8.0.

	As I said before: "The different effect for this Mac version might
or might not be of relevance to Gnu developers!".

	If it would help, I am prepared to make separate bug reports for
these matters.  On the other hand perhaps there is no point in following
up problems in this old version of coreutils.  (What I wanted is working
OK.)

	Thanks
		Ellis

On 16 Mar 2013, at 04:24, Bob Proulx wrote:

> It was a comment that Alan had already spoken what he knew and didn't
> know more about MacOS to say any more than that.  And I am in the same
> position.  I don't use MacOS and so know nothing about it.  I can only
> suggest that someone else who knows about MacOS would need to jump in
> and help.
...

> The [email-masked] address is used for bug
> tracking.  As you can see from the email every message there creates a
> bug ticket in the bug tracking system.  Which is great for tracking
> individual bugs so that they do not get lost.  (Please submit one bug
> per bug report.