Subject: Re: bug#13900: 24.3.50; tramp mode for for /su: and /sudo: on localhost

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2013 12:34:15 +0100

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

> BTW, could you try and make TAB on such a file name "expand" to
> "/ssh:sudo:..." so as to clarify what's going on?
> IOW, demote the "/<host>:" syntax such that it is expanded to the
> corresponding "/<method>:<host>:" form as early as possible (and as
> visibly as possible)?

`expand-file-name' does it already:

(expand-file-name "/sudo:/home/jason/somefile")
 => "/scp:sudo:/home/jason/somefile"

So maybe we could add `expand-file-name' somewhere in the minibuffer
completion remote file names? Sorry, I'm not so familiar with pcomplete
and friends.

> Also, if <host> is the name of an existing method, the behavior should
> be to treat it as a method name, rather than a host name (i.e. force
> the user to type "/ssh:sudo:" if she wants to connect to the "sudo"
> host).

I thought of this already a while ago. The major problem might be
"ftp". Old ange-ftp users who are not interested in Tramp at all will
kill me, when they are forced to type "/ftp:ftp:".

>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.