Subject: bug#13893: bug in CP

From: "Kevin C. Redden" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2013 15:23:18 -0500

Sir:

I'm using Debian 6.06/KDE 4.4, and I found either a bug, or else an 
omission in CP.

I tried to copy files from one directory to another with the command

kcredden@zeus:/STORE2/TH-zeus/work-desk/WRITNG/WRITING-CURRENT$ cp -R * 
/media/SNEAKERNET1/

It goes about half-way, then completely aborts with:

cp: cannot create directory 
`/media/SNEAKERNET1/Tools/NEW-FOLDER-FRAMEWORK ': Invalid argument

I honestly don't know what's wrong with that directory, but Dolphin 
cannot copy it as well. I was finally able to copy the files with a SU 
midnight commander. When MC ttried to copy that file it just asked if I 
wish to skip it which I did, and MC finished copying the rest of the files.

First I'm wondering; is this a bug? If not, is there a way to force CP 
to copy files without aborting if it runs into a problem? There is a 
command in Windows called 'Xcopy'. It has a command switch telling it to 
just skip over bad files, and copy the rest. I cannot recall exactly 
what the command is, since I've been off windows for quite awhile. But 
it's something like 'xcopy -c *.* /dir.' (-c for 'continue')

If this is a bug, or an omission. Can I request that someone fix cp for 
either a command switch like Xcopy's, or else at least default to just 
skip bad files, instead of aborting completely? This abort problem has 
also plagued both windows and linux file managers for years (except for 
MC) and it's frankly very annoying.

Thanks.

- Kc (linux user since Ubuntu 8.04.01)

-- 

Kevin C. Redden
--
[email-masked]
https://awanderingminddotme.wordpress.com/

"I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
Robert A. Heinlein

"Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors... and miss." - (personal favorite :)
Robert A. Heinlein