Subject: bug#13884: 24.3.50; `mouse-secondary-save-then-kill' should not affect the kill ring (+ regression)

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2020 20:03:52 +0100

"Drew Adams" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Prior to Emacs 24, if you clicked `M-mouse-3' without first clicking
> `M-mouse-1' you got a "Wrong buffer" error msg informing you that the
> secondary selection was not in this buffer.  That was consistent and
> reasonable behavior.
>
> Starting with Emacs 24, if you do that Emacs moves the secondary
> selection to the current buffer, from point to the clicked position. 
>
> 1. It could be argued that this is a regression, especially as:

(I think it's too late to change how this works at this point.)

> 2. Be that as it may, if this behavior is to remain, there is
> nevertheless the following bug, the main purpose of this report: In this
> case (no start of secondary selection in current buffer, so using point
> as the start position), the code mistakenly does this, in addition to
> doing what it needs to do to establish the secondary selection:
>
> (kill-ring-save (point) click-pt)
>
> That code is a vestige, presumably.  In any case, it has no business
> being there.  Setting the secondary selection should not in any way
> affect the `kill-ring'.  The secondary selection is entirely separate
> from the region and the kill ring.  This sexp should be removed.

The doc string says:

----
Set the secondary selection and save it to the kill ring.
----

So this is presumably intended behaviour.  Closing.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no