Subject: bug#13882: 24.2; saveplace.el limit drop least recently used

From: Kevin Ryde <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 08:23:52 +1100

Karl Fogel <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> or that in the abstract one would be
> tempted to do that?

Yes, in the abstract :-).

> I'm happy to address a concrete proposal,

I would say take away the `sort', and don't have an option for it.

> How would the user hook in to run the sort, unless we provide some
> option in saveplace.el?

I presume a user has two .emacs-places files and wants to merge them.
Was that the motivation for the sort?

If yes then I would say the files can be sorted easily enough at that
time, no need to always save sorted.  In fact I would say keeping
most-recent-first order might be desirable when merging two files
anyway.

> I'm just having
> trouble understanding exactly what you're saying above.

The second part I wondered what happens if I have two running copies of
emacs, both with save-place enabled.  When the first one exits it writes
.emacs-places.  When the second one exits it too writes .emacs-places.
I suspect the second overwrites the first.  Was such a situation the
motivation for the sort to "merge"?