Subject: Re: bug#1388: 23.0.60; Emacs shell problem with echo "1+1" | bc

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 13:21:11 -0500

> OK, change reverted, bug re-opened.

Thank you.

> Given that said change solves the reported bug, and I was just
> following your own suggestion on what to do, I'm thoroughly confused.
> (But this is not atypical.)

My suggestion was for how to fix the particular circumstance.  I didn't
imply that it would fix the problem in general.  And indeed, you've
found that there's a fundamental problem in how we handle processes that
seems to make it impossible right now to reproduce what a normal shell
would do.

This said, I haven't looked closely enough to know that your change
might make things worse in some cases.  But it doesn't seem
obviously safe.  So maybe you can convince me that it's not making
things worse in other circumstances, or that those circumstances are
much less likely (or didn't work well anyway in the past for other
reasons).

        Stefan