Subject: bug#13864: 24.3.50; emacsclient -t loops when connected to emacs server running in X11

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2013 19:07:36 +0200

> From: [email-masked] (Ashish SHUKLA)
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2013 05:56:40 +0530
> 
> I tried r1110803, r110921, r111026, r111253, r111312, and r111607, they were
> good.  Then, I tried r111818, and it has this.
> 
> No problem with Emacs 23.4.

So this is a recent regression.  Thanks, this narrows down the set of
culprits quite a bit, but still not enough to see the root cause.

Could you please attach a debugger to Emacs, after starting the
server, but before opening the TTY frame with emacsclient, and set a
breakpoint like this:

 (gdb) break update_frame_1
 (gdb) commands
  > p force_p
  > p inhibit_id_p
  > continue
  > end
 (gdb)

Then re-create the problem and see whether update_frame_1 is called
very frequently, and if so, what are the values of the 2 arguments
printed by the breakpoint commands above.  (I don't know what is your
level of proficiency with GDB, so let me know if you need more
detailed instructions.)

Don't forget to invoke GDB from the src directory, and make sure that
it reads the .gdbinit file there, and does not reject it due to
security considerations.

If update_frame_1 indeed gets called at high frequency when the xterm
frame flickers, then please do the same when Emacs is started with -nw
(in which case I understand that there's no flickering), and see if
there's any difference in the frequency of calls to update_frame_1 and
in the values of the above 2 arguments.

TIA