Subject: OS X Emacs frequent crashes when files are open over FTP

From: "Silas S. Brown" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 11:43:12 +0000

Hi, I'm getting frequent crashes on Mac OS 10.7.5 from:

  - GNU Emacs 24.2.1 downloaded from emacsformacosx.com
  - GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (Carbon) compiled from HomeBrew
  - GNU Emacs 24.1 downloaded from emacsformacosx.com
  - GNU Emacs 23.4 downloaded from emacsformacosx.com

  but not (so far) on GNU Emacs 23.2, which I'm hoping
  will be more stable on my system.  (Thanks for continuing
  to make the old builds available - useful in this situation.)

  (I have not tried 23.3.  After having trouble with the
   above versions, I started jumping back 2 at a time.
   So the problem may have been introduced in 23.3 or 23.4.)

Crashes especially when I have files open over FTP to my
Linux box, but I don't know if that's a red herring. 
(23.4 seems more likely to crash when opening a directory
in dired over sshfs, rather than FTP, but again I'm not
sure exactly what's causing the problem.  I am not able
to reliably reproduce the crash on demand.)

Emacs "beach-balls" for a few seconds and then disappears.
(Is there any kind of "kill Emacs if some critical
process takes too long" logic that might be kicking in?)

The bug might possibly be triggered by something in my
configuration (which I can't work without), these files
are available at http://people.ds.cam.ac.uk/ssb22/setup/emacs.tgz
(they refer to "xemacs" a lot because that's what I started
with, but I now use FSF Emacs).

Thanks.

Silas