Subject: Re: bug#13833: 24.2.93; Proper SOCKS support

From: "J.P." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2025 13:00:50 -0700

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>>> It would be great if all network primitives (open-network-stream and
>>>> friends) supported SOCKS.
>>> There is lisp/net/socks.el.  Unfortunately the implementation overwrites
>>> open-network-stream using defalias.  That is terrible.
>>
>> Yes, that's a bug.
>>
>>> Maybe add-function could be used here?
>>
>> You mean add-advice?  Yes, that would be better at least.
>
> Nothing has happened here within 11 years.  This bug is basically a
> request to generally improve SOCKS support, which would absolutely be a
> good thing.  However, it will be hard to make any progress on that
> without a patch.  Meanwhile, some things have changed, and others have
> improved.
>
> I'm therefore closing this bug report now, until such a time that anyone
> takes on the job of taking a look at improving our SOCKS support.

Just leaving a breadcrumb for future people: Bug#53941 has a PoC patch
that demos a way to accomplish _some_ of this based on the option
`url-proxy-services'. IIRC, fundamental issues regarding a proxy's
propagation from a "proxified" app to new connections (from clicked-on
links, etc.) remains unaddressed. Pursuing this may mean devising a
clever way for sequestering user options to arbitrary boundaries that
don't quite align with connection-local scopes.