Subject: Re: bug#13831: 24.3.50; [PATCH] net-utils-mode have no revert-buffer function

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 09:08:22 -0500

>> There is no guarantee that a process with this name exists.
> Where ? in the sentinel ?
> The process take this name in `net-utils-run-simple':
> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>     (set (make-local-variable 'net-utils-program-name) program-name)
>     (set (make-local-variable 'net-utils-program-args) args)
>     (set-process-filter
>      (apply 'start-process (format "%s" program-name)
> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Using process names (like buffer names, BTW) is often unreliable.
Better use the process object itself.  I.e. rather than (set
(make-local-variable 'net-utils-program-name) program-name) and then
later call start-process (which may choose a different name than
program-name if there's already a process by that name), better just do
(set (make-local-variable 'net-utils-proc) (start-process ...))  so you
can then use net-utils-proc, being absolutely sure this is the process
you started.

        Stefan