Subject: bug#13751: closed (Re: bug#13816: 24.3.50; turn-on-font-lock doesn't turn it on)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 07:54:03 +0000

Your bug report

#13816: 24.3.50; regression: font-lock broken since 2013-02-17

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
13816: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=13816
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#13816: 24.3.50; turn-on-font-lock doesn't turn it on
From: Katsumi Yamaoka <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 16:51:10 +0900
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I confirmed it has been fixed on:

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (i686-pc-cygwin, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2013-02-26 on yamaoka-PC
Bzr revision: 111882 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `The Cygwin/X Project', version 11.0.11302000

Sorry for the noise.

Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:
> Stefan Monnier wrote:
>>> Recently turn-on-font-lock set to some hook turns font-lock
>>> on but turns it off immediately regardless of the value of
>>> global-font-lock-mode.  Here's a recipe:

>>> emacs -Q
>>> Eval: (add-hook 'emacs-lisp-mode-hook 'turn-on-font-lock)
>>> and visit some .el file.

>> Works fine on the trunk right now.  Can you confirm it was fixed if you
>> try a recent enough build?

> I build Emacs from the trunk almost everyday.  Now I use:

> In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (i686-pc-cygwin, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
>  of 2013-02-26 on localhost
> Bzr revision: 111880 [email-masked]
> Windowing system distributor `The Cygwin/X Project', version 11.0.11302000
> Configured using:
>  `configure --verbose --with-x-toolkit=lucid --without-imagemagick
>  --without-dbus --without-gconf --without-gsettings'

> I've reverted the 111870 change because of bug#13818, though.

> According to my tracing of run-mode-hooks, it turns on font-lock
> but turns it off by the last line:

> (defun run-mode-hooks (&rest hooks)
> [...]
>     ;; ON
>     (apply 'run-hooks (cons 'change-major-mode-after-body-hook hooks))
>     ;; OFF
>     (run-hooks 'after-change-major-mode-hook)))

Subject: 24.3.50; regression: font-lock broken since 2013-02-17
From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 11:25:24 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

1. A user reported that Dired+ highlighting is completely broken now.  I
can confirm that this is so in this build from 2013-02-17, and that it
is not broken in a build from 2013-02-15.
 
If we need to dig further into this we can do so, but this regression
might be related to whatever causes the font-locking regression
described next, #2, and that is trivial to repro.
 
2. Font-locking of Emacs-Lisp files is broken too:
 
emacs -Q

(add-hook 'emacs-lisp-mode-hook 'turn-on-font-lock)
 
Then visit a buffer in Emacs-Lisp mode - no highlighting.
 
A call to `turn-on-font-lock' should never turn off highlighting.  If
already turned on, it should be a no-op.  This has always worked
previously, in Emacs versions going back at least to 20 and probably
(IIRC) to 18.
 
I looked for diffs between 2013-02-15 and -17 for font-lock.el and
font-lock-core.el, but I didn't see anything that stood out.
 
In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2013-02-17 on VBOX-W7
Bzr revision: 111822 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.7) --no-opt --enable-checking --cflags
 -IC:/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.10/include -IC:/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.10/src
 -IC:/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1_win32/include
 -IC:/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2_win32/include
 -IC:/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1-lib/include
 -IC:/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4-lib/include
 -IC:/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1-lib/include
 -IC:/emacs/libs/libxml2-2.7.8-w32-bin/include/libxml2
 -IC:/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.1.8-w32/include
 -IC:/emacs/libs/libiconv-1.14-2-mingw32-dev/include'