Subject: bug#13808: Gnus gratuiously messes with the encoding of attachments

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 17:47:00 -0800

David Kastrup <[email-masked]> writes:

> I'd be perfectly content with preserving file encoding for inline
> passages of text/plain: the fewer chances there are for things going
> wrong or being surprising, the better.

Yeah.  Attaching files should send the files out the way they are on
disk, byte for byte, I think.

> Now part of the scenario for reproducing the problem might be the
> following variable:
>
> mm-coding-system-priorities is a variable defined in `mm-util.el'.
> Its value is (iso-8859-1 iso-8859-15 utf-8)
> Original value was nil

Mine is nil.

I just tried sending out a utf-8 file, and Message decided it was 8859,
so it's totally garbled:

--=-=-=
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-Disposition: inline; filename=foo.txt
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

QmzDpWLDpnINCg==
--=-=-=

Yuck.

Hm...  what's determining the charset in the file, anyway?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  bloggy blog http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/