Subject: bug#13805: closed (Re: bug#13805: query-replace-regexp has conflicting interactive defaults)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 21:02:02 +0000

Your bug report

#13805: query-replace-regexp has conflicting interactive defaults

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
13805: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=13805
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#13805: query-replace-regexp has conflicting interactive defaults
From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
To: Richard Copley <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 22:58:09 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

>> From `emacs -Q':
>> M-% . RET ! RET ;; To put a replacement into the history.
>> M-b    ;; To place point before the word "buffer" in *scratch*.
>> C-M-%  ;; Prompts "Query replace regexp (default . -> !): ".
>> RET    ;; Prompts "Query replace regexp \_<buffer\.\_> with: ".
>> RET !  ;; Replaces "buffer" with "".
>
> The default logic was broken a week ago in revno:111803.
> This patch should restore the previous correct behavior:

This is fixed now, thanks for the bug report.

Subject: query-replace-regexp has conflicting interactive defaults
From: Richard Copley <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 20:38:20 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

`query-replace-regexp' offers to repeat the last replacement, but
then goes off and does something exciting and new instead.

IMHO replace-regexp and friends should not default their
argument using the thing at point, because the user doesn't have
control of point: it is by definition at one end of the region to be
searched. That means the default is useful only in exceptional
cases, and just a distraction otherwise.

>From `emacs -Q':
M-% . RET ! RET ;; To put a replacement into the history.
M-b    ;; To place point before the word "buffer" in *scratch*.
C-M-%  ;; Prompts "Query replace regexp (default . -> !): ".
RET    ;; Prompts "Query replace regexp \_<buffer\.\_> with: ".
RET !  ;; Replaces "buffer" with "".

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.2.9200)
 of 2013-02-24 on MACHINE
Bzr revision: 111868 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.2.9200
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.7) --cflags -I c:/gnuwin32/include --ldflags
 -L c:/gnuwin32/lib'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENG
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-% . <return> ! <return> M-b C-M-% <return> ? <return>
! M-x r e p o r t - e m a c s - b u g <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Mark set
Replaced 0 occurrences
Mark set
Replaced 1 occurrence

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp w32-common-fns disp-table w32-win
w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
newcomment lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process w32notify w32
multi-tty emacs)