Subject: bug#13799: 24.2; OSX Crashes when Emacs is terminated

From: Michael Komitee <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 20:13:31 -0500

If anything causes Emacs to quit unexpectedly (e.g. sending it a SIGTERM
with the kill command) it takes down OSX with it. I believe it's a full
kernel panic. -- I understand that Emacs shouldn't be able to take down
the os and that there's likely an os bug involved, but only Emacs
triggers the os issue.

FYI, I'm using emacs built with homebrew (http://mxcl.github.com/homebrew/)

My configuration can be viewed at https://raw.github.com/mkomitee/dotfiles/master/emacs/init.el)

In GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin12.2.0)
 of 2013-02-16 on wat.local
Configured using:
 `configure '--prefix=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.2' '--without-dbus'
 '--enable-locallisppath=/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp'
 '--infodir=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.2/share/info/emacs' '--without-x'
 'CC=cc''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: iso-latin-1-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  eldoc-mode: t
  elisp-slime-nav-mode: t
  paredit-mode: t
  whitespace-mode: t
  global-surround-mode: t
  surround-mode: t
  evil-mode: t
  evil-local-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  fci-mode: t
  textmate-mode: t
  global-linum-mode: t
  linum-mode: t
  ido-ubiquitous-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
ESC [ > 0 ; 9 5 ; c ESC x r e p o r t RET

Recent messages:
("emacs")
Loading /Users/mkomitee/.dotfiles/emacs/bundles/emacs-for-python/extensions/flymake-patch.el (source)...done
Loading /Users/mkomitee/.dotfiles/emacs/bundles/emacs-for-python/extensions/flymake-cursor.el (source)...done
****************************
false
****************************
Pymacs loading ropemacs...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type <f1> C-a.

Load-path shadows:
/Users/mkomitee/.dotfiles/emacs/bundles/emacs-for-python/extensions/yasnippet/yasnippet hides /Users/mkomitee/.emacs.d/elpa/yasnippet-0.8.0/yasnippet
/Users/mkomitee/.dotfiles/emacs/bundles/emacs-for-python/extensions/yasnippet/dropdown-list hides /Users/mkomitee/.emacs.d/elpa/yasnippet-0.8.0/dropdown-list
/Users/mkomitee/.dotfiles/emacs/bundles/emacs-for-python/extensions/python hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.2/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/progmodes/python

Features:
(shadow sort flyspell ispell gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message
format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils eldoc elisp-slime-nav etags
paredit saveplace whitespace disp-table wombat-theme yasnippet
dropdown-list help-mode view assoc epy-python ropemacs byte-opt warnings
bytecomp byte-compile cconv macroexp flymake pymacs python skeleton
derived rx cl epy-setup surround easy-mmode maps evil evil-integration
evil-maps evil-commands evil-types evil-digraphs evil-search evil-ex
evil-macros evil-repeat evil-states evil-core evil-common undo-tree diff
rect evil-vars fill-column-indicator image textmate grep compile comint
regexp-opt ansi-color ring imenu linum utils em-glob esh-util
evil-autoloads fill-column-indicator-autoloads haskell-mode-autoloads
markdown-mode-autoloads puppet-mode-autoloads python-mode-autoloads
rainbow-mode-autoloads starter-kit-bindings-autoloads windmove
starter-kit-eshell-autoloads starter-kit-lisp-autoloads
elisp-slime-nav-autoloads starter-kit-autoloads edmacro kmacro smex
starter-kit-misc ido-ubiquitous ido time-date paren starter-kit-defuns
uniquify advice help-fns advice-preload magit-autoloads info tool-bar
easymenu ido-ubiquitous-autoloads smex-autoloads
find-file-in-project-autoloads idle-highlight-mode-autoloads
paredit-autoloads textmate-autoloads undo-tree-autoloads
yasnippet-autoloads package tabulated-list ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process multi-tty emacs)

-- 
Michael Komitee