Subject: bug#13790: Cannot paste with C-y into Homebrew emacs v24.2.1

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 14:04:07 -0400

> I'd be happy to contribute it,

Cool.  Could you try and make it into a patch to xclip.el, then?

> Is this code trivial enough that we needn't be concerned about
> copyright issues?

Pretty much, yes.

> Also, I see that xclip.el resides in the GNU ELPA repository.  Since
> it's likely that many people using Emacs in -nw mode would like to
> integrate Emacs kill and yank operations with their operating systems'
> clipboards, I wonder if it would be worthwhile for some or all of
> xclip.el's functionality to move into the core.

I don't think xclip-mode can be enabled by default (at least not at
this stage), so the only thing we can improve is to bundle xclip.el with
Emacs, although installing a package from GNU ELPA is simple enough that
the pressure to do that is not very high.

> We could do this by including a few simple wrapper functions such as
> the above to provide interfaces to xclip, pbcopy/pbpaste, and whatever
> Windows equivalent may exist, and mentioning those functions'
> existence in interprogram-cut-function's and
> interprogram-paste-function's docstrings.

I think the current "Add (xclip-mode 1) in your .emacs" is a better
option than expecting people to mess around with their
interprogram-*-functions.

        Stefan