Subject: bug#1379: emacs --daemon not working with X11 dual-head

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 00:26:40 +0100

>>>>> "Dan" == Dan Nicolaescu <[email-masked]> writes:

    Dan> [email-masked] writes:
    >> >>>>> "Stefan" == Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
    >> writes:
    >> 
    >> >>>> I wanted to start using the "emacs --daemon" option with
    >> >>>> subsequent "emacsclient ..." invocations. Everything works
    >> >>>> fine, as long as only one of my X11 screens is used. But
    >> when >>>> I want to start a new frame on display :0.1 while one
    >> or more >>>> frames are already running on display :0.0 the
    >> following >>>> happens:
    >> >>>> 
    >> >>>> - Executing "emacsclient -c " for the first time: A frame
    >> >>>> appears, and immediately disappears again with the error
    >> >>>> message *ERROR*: X protocol error: BadDrawable (invalid
    >> >>>> Pixmap or Window parameter) on protocol request 14
    >> >>>> 
    >> >>>> - Executing "emacsclient -c " for the second time: A frame
    >> >>>> appears, but emacs is in a complete dead lock after this.
    >> >>>> 
    >> >>>> Used Version: i emacs-snapshot 1:20081013-1
    >> >>>> 
    >> >>>> on Ubuntu 8.10 / x86_64
    >> 
    >> 
    Dan> Can you please try to see if your scenario works without
    Dan> using the --daemon option?
    Stefan> Actually, can you just try it without any
    Stefan> emacsclient/server?  I.e. start Emacs on one of the
    Stefan> screens, then do M-x make-frame-on-display and specify the
    Stefan> other display.
    >> 
    >> Good idea. It also doesn't work. Same error message.

    Dan> Can you please try to recompile emacs with
    Dan> --with-x-toolkit=lucid ?  And try again emacs -Q and M-x
    Dan> make-frame-on-display ?  (This is to make sure this is not a
    Dan> Gtk bug)

I'll try. But this will take some time, since I didn't compile this
myself (it's the version coming with Ubunto 8.10).