Subject: bug#1379: emacs --daemon not working with X11 dual-head

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 23:57:28 +0100

>>>>> "Stefan" == Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

    >>>> I wanted to start using the "emacs --daemon" option with
    >>>> subsequent "emacsclient ..." invocations. Everything works
    >>>> fine, as long as only one of my X11 screens is used. But when
    >>>> I want to start a new frame on display :0.1 while one or more
    >>>> frames are already running on display :0.0 the following
    >>>> happens:
    >>>> 
    >>>> - Executing "emacsclient -c " for the first time: A frame
    >>>> appears, and immediately disappears again with the error
    >>>> message *ERROR*: X protocol error: BadDrawable (invalid
    >>>> Pixmap or Window parameter) on protocol request 14
    >>>> 
    >>>> - Executing "emacsclient -c " for the second time: A frame
    >>>> appears, but emacs is in a complete dead lock after this.
    >>>> 
    >>>> Used Version: i emacs-snapshot 1:20081013-1
    >>>> 
    >>>> on Ubuntu 8.10 / x86_64

    Dan> Can you please try to see if your scenario works without
    Dan> using the --daemon option?

    Stefan> Actually, can you just try it without any
    Stefan> emacsclient/server?  I.e. start Emacs on one of the
    Stefan> screens, then do M-x make-frame-on-display and specify the
    Stefan> other display.

Good idea. It also doesn't work. Same error message.