Subject: Re: bug#1379: emacs --daemon not working with X11 dual-head

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 10:01:37 -0500

>>> I wanted to start using the "emacs --daemon" option with
>>> subsequent "emacsclient ..." invocations. Everything works
>>> fine, as long as only one of my X11 screens is used. But when I
>>> want to start a new frame on display :0.1 while one or more
>>> frames are already running on display :0.0 the following
>>> happens:
>>> 
>>> - Executing "emacsclient -c " for the first time: A frame
>>> appears, and immediately disappears again with the error
>>> message *ERROR*: X protocol error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap
>>> or Window parameter) on protocol request 14
>>> 
>>> - Executing "emacsclient -c " for the second time: A frame
>>> appears, but emacs is in a complete dead lock after this.
>>> 
>>> Used Version: i emacs-snapshot 1:20081013-1
>>> 
>>> on Ubuntu 8.10 / x86_64

Dan> Can you please try to see if your scenario works without
Dan> using the --daemon option?

Actually, can you just try it without any emacsclient/server?
I.e. start Emacs on one of the screens, then do
M-x make-frame-on-display and specify the other display.

        Stefan