Subject: bug#1379: emacs --daemon not working with X11 dual-head

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 11:45:19 +0100

>>>>> "Dan" == Dan Nicolaescu <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Dan,

    Dan> [email-masked] writes:
    >> Hi,
    >> 
    >> I wanted to start using the "emacs --daemon" option with
    >> subsequent "emacsclient ..." invocations. Everything works
    >> fine, as long as only one of my X11 screens is used. But when I
    >> want to start a new frame on display :0.1 while one or more
    >> frames are already running on display :0.0 the following
    >> happens:
    >> 
    >> - Executing "emacsclient -c " for the first time: A frame
    >> appears, and immediately disappears again with the error
    >> message *ERROR*: X protocol error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap
    >> or Window parameter) on protocol request 14
    >> 
    >> - Executing "emacsclient -c " for the second time: A frame
    >> appears, but emacs is in a complete dead lock after this.
    >> 
    >> Used Version: i emacs-snapshot 1:20081013-1
    >> 
    >> on Ubuntu 8.10 / x86_64

    Dan> Can you please try to see if your scenario works without
    Dan> using the --daemon option?

    Dan> Start emacs like this:

    Dan> emacs -Q -f server-start&

    Dan> and then use emacsclient -c to connect.

I already had put (server-start) in my .emacs. This shows the same
behaviour.

Thanks,

Roland