Subject: Re: simplify data_start configuration for Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 23:34:05 +0200

> Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 12:56:25 -0800
> From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
> CC: [email-masked]
> 
> The patch omits data_start on hosts that use the system malloc,
> since data_start is now needed only on hosts where GNU Emacs
> supplies malloc.

You mean, gmalloc?  How does that come into play?

It seems like data_start and data_size derived from it matter only
when displaying memory usage warnings -- is that correct?  If so, why
doesn't this matter when system malloc is used?

> On GNU hosts the linker supplies the address automatically;
> on non-GNU hosts we approximate it by declaring a
> variable whose contents don't matter.

The MS-Windows build computes data_start and data_size inside
unexw32.c at dump time -- is that good enough?  (I'm asking because
your change doesn't touch the Windows build.)

Thanks.