Subject: bug#1378: 23.0.60; Font selection does not respect emacs.font

From: Nils Anders Danielsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 14:35:05 +0000

When Emacs is started using

   emacs -Q --xrm 'emacs.font: 
-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-15-140-75-75-c-90-iso10646-1' \
     --xrm 'emacs.fontBackend: xft,x'

and a file with Greek characters (αβγ) is displayed, some Xft font is
used for the Greek characters instead of my selected X font, even
though the X font contains glyphs for these characters. The X font is
used for many other characters, though, including some Unicode symbols
(like ∀⊢). If I start Emacs using

   emacs -Q --xrm 'emacs.font: 
-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-15-140-75-75-c-90-iso10646-1' \
     --xrm 'emacs.fontBackend: x'

then the X font is used for all characters (naturally).

This seems to be a regression. I did not have this problem when I was
using a previous version of the emacs-snapshot package.

Relevant info:

In GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.14.3)
  of 2008-10-13 on rothera, modified by Debian
  (emacs-snapshot package, version 1:20081013-1)
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10502000
configured using `configure  '--build' 'i486-linux-gnu' '--host' 
'i486-linux-gnu' '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' 
'--libexecdir=/usr/lib' '--localstatedir=/var' 
'--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes' 
'--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs-snapshot:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/23.0.60/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/23.0.60/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp' 
'--with-x=yes' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk' 'build_alias=i486-linux-gnu' 
'host_alias=i486-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-DDEBIAN 
-DSITELOAD_PURESIZE_EXTRA=5000 -g -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-g -Wl,--as-needed' 
'CPPFLAGS=''

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: nil
   value of $LC_COLLATE: en_GB.UTF-8
   value of $LC_CTYPE: en_GB.UTF-8
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: en_GB.UTF-8
   value of $LC_MONETARY: sv_SE.UTF-8
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: sv_SE.UTF-8
   value of $LC_TIME: en_DK.UTF-8
   value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
   default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

-- 
/NAD

This message has been checked for viruses but the contents of an attachment
may still contain software viruses, which could damage your computer system:
you are advised to perform your own checks. Email communications with the
University of Nottingham may be monitored as permitted by UK legislation.