Subject: bug#13771: make functions cannot be used in RHS of "TESTS ="

From: Daiki Ueno <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 18:27:13 +0900

Hi,

I noticed that some modules are using make functions to assign values to
TESTS.  For example, I found the following in my GNOME jhbuild checkout:

TESTS = $(filter-out fake-tp-backend individual-zeitgeist,$(noinst_PROGRAMS))
TESTS = $(sort $(tests))

These cause warnings like:

Makefile.am:2: warning: sort $(tests: non-POSIX variable name
Makefile.am:2: (probably a GNU make extension)

and also generate the following rule in Makefile.in, which seems
apparently wrong:

$(sort.log: $(sort
        @p='$(sort'; \
        b='$(sort'; \
        $(am__check_pre) $(LOG_DRIVER) --test-name "$$f" \
        --log-file $$b.log --trs-file $$b.trs \
        $(am__common_driver_flags) $(AM_LOG_DRIVER_FLAGS) $(LOG_DRIVER_FLAGS) -- $(LOG_COMPILE) \
        "$$tst" $(AM_TESTS_FD_REDIRECT)

Shall it be fixed in Makefile.am or Automake?

Regards,
-- 
Daiki Ueno