Subject: bug#13764: 24.3.50; please do not use defsubst for `font-lock-(apply-highlight|fontify-anchored-keywords)'

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 09:24:46 -0800

These are not tiny, trivial functions.
 
They do not fit the criteria for `defsubst' outlined in (elisp)
`Inline Functions'.  And they introduce all of the disadvantages
listed there, especially this one, listed first:
 
  [I]f you change the definition of the function, calls already
  inlined still use the old definition until you recompile them.
 
One use case: I have highlighting code that uses text property
`font-lock-ignore'.  I modify a few font-lock.el functions so that text
that has this property is ignored.  IOW, this property tells font-lock
"Hands off", so that it will not erase of otherwise interfere with such
highlighting.
 
I see no reason why these function should not be defuns.
 
In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2013-02-17 on VBOX-W7
Bzr revision: 111822 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.7) --no-opt --enable-checking --cflags
 -IC:/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.10/include -IC:/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.10/src
 -IC:/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1_win32/include
 -IC:/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2_win32/include
 -IC:/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1-lib/include
 -IC:/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4-lib/include
 -IC:/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1-lib/include
 -IC:/emacs/libs/libxml2-2.7.8-w32-bin/include/libxml2
 -IC:/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.1.8-w32/include
 -IC:/emacs/libs/libiconv-1.14-2-mingw32-dev/include'