Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/2] am__make_dryrun fails to handle GNU make -I option

From: Boris Kolpackov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 15:44:52 +0200

Stefano Lattarini <[email-masked]> writes:

> And of course, if you want to attempt a fix yourself in the meantime,
> be my guest ;-)

I was thinking of coming up with a fix. My problem is I can only do
it for GNU make; I don't know anything (and, to be honest, don't care)
about other flavors of make which the code has to support. I think
the clean way to fix this would be to detect somehow if we are using
GNU make and then have different tests for GNU make and other makes.
I looked around for any GNU make indication but didn't see anything
obvious (maybe the fact that in GNU make the first word can never have
'-'). I think if we try to support all make flavors in a combined test,
things will get messy (my other idea was to resort to executing make if
MAKEFLAGS contains more than one word). Seeing that the majority is
probably using GNU make and we can do a really fast test for it, it
would be bad to resort to some pessimistic tests (like running make)
just so that we can support other makes.

Just my thoughts.

Boris