Subject: Re: bug#13752: Suggestions regarding the minibuffer

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 15:02:36 -0500

> 1. Would it be possible to add a property to error symbols that would
> prevent the error message from appearing in the mini-buffer? I see
> little utility in  messages such a "End of buffer", "Beginning of buffer"
> and "Text read-only".
> It could be seen as implementation logic leaking into UI.

I don't think these messages have anything to do with implementation.
Instead, they're present to explain to the user why nothing else
happened in response to their keypress.

As for your request, I would welcome a patch that makes the display of
error messages more flexible.

> 2. Could an option be created that wouldn't allow messages (regular or
> error) from being displayed, while the minibuffer is active and selected?

Not displaying them might not be the best default choice (tho an option
for it could be OK), but I'd welcome a patch that makes them less
intrusive (e.g. display the message at the end of the minibuffer, like
the " [No match]" message in completions).

        Stefan