Subject: bug#13752: Suggestions regarding the minibuffer

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2021 09:30:41 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> 'set_message' isn't called to display errors signaled by 'signal',
> because those messages don't go the 'message' route.  Those messages
> go through cmd_error, which eventually calls command-error-function.
> The latter is by default bound to command-error-default-function,
> which displays the error message via print_error_message.

Thanks!  That's the missing piece of the puzzle.  I've now extended the
doc strings of these two variables to mention each other.

> I think Lisp programs that want to control this should bind
> command-error-function to the function of their liking.

Indeed.  For future reference, the feature request can be achieved by
something like

(setq command-error-function
      (lambda (data string func)
	(unless (eq (car data) 'end-of-buffer)
	  (command-error-default-function data string func))))

to display all error messages except `end-of-buffer'.

So I'm closing this bug report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no