Subject: Re: bug#13743: 24.2.93; Segmentation fault when trying to [s]teal a file opened elsewhere

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 22:27:35 +0400

On 25.02.2013 20:25, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> I installed on the trunk revision 111875 to fix this.  Now all your
> examples:
 >> ...
> work as expected.

Thanks!

> Interestingly, this also fixes the original segfault which started
> this discussion (not before I fixed similar bugs in
> remove-text-properties and elsewhere in textprop.c, because making the
> change only n add-text-properties still triggered a similar segfault
> from remove-text-properties).  So perhaps the fact that buffer
> modifications were announced unnecessarily is the root cause for the
> segfault.

Also, mmm-mode now opens small files like the test one noticeably 
faster. Not sure why, but it's a nice win.

> I couldn't convince myself that, even after revision 111875, we could
> not end up in a situation where redisplay triggered by modify_region
> changes the intervals when it fontifies the buffer.  So perhaps we
> need a followup patch to plumb that potential hole, something along
> the following:

That scenario doesn't sound good, but I'll leave judging the last patch 
to the experts. I can't reproduce the original problem anymore, so 
please this bug when you think appropriate.