Subject: Re: bug#13737: Add -h option to 'users'

From: Bernhard Voelker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 22:54:08 +0100

On 02/18/2013 09:31 PM, anatoly techtonik wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 8:21 PM, Eric Blake <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Your phrase about GNU users preference can not be backed up by any proof
> links, so it can not serve as an argument. That's why I proposed a poll.
> Nowadays GNU users are also Python and Ruby users, where they used to '-h'
> option, so your position is very dubious.
> 
> 
>> I am against adding -h as a short option without a lot more
>> justification than just a single user, since we have had so few requests
>> for a short option -h over the years.

Maybe that's exactly the difference to Ruby et al: the GNU tools exist
much longer and have for sure learned their lessons of burning short
options. ;-)

BTW: the user is not lost with today's implementation:

  $ users -h
  users: invalid option -- 'h'
  Try 'users --help' for more information.

The step to the get help isn't too hard with that information, is it?

Have a nice day,
Berny