Subject: Re: bug#1373: 23.0.60; --daemon: "emacsclient -c" does not honor +Xoffset+Yoffset in ~/.Xdefaults

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 10:07:34 -0500

> when started like this Emacs creates a new frame.  The frames width
> and heigth are determined by the emacs.geometry ressource in
> ~/.Xdefaults, whereas the -Xoffset+Yoffset values are ignored.  Emacs
> positions the frame in the top left corner.  But I want it in the top
> right corner.  Therefore I hve the following line in my ~/.Xdefaults
> file:

> emacs-snapshot.geometry:82x188-0+0

> When started like this:

> $ killall emacs-snapshot 
> $ xrdb ~/.Xdefaults 
> $ emacs-snapshot -Q /home/grfz/.Xdefaults

> Emacs creates the frame in the top right corner of the display.

> It would be nice if emacs would honor the full geometry settings in
> the X ressources.

> Thank you for emacs, the awesome --daemon feature and your attention,
> Gregor

I believe this is "on purpose": the size part of the geometry argument
applies to all frames (i.e. it's put into default-frame-alist) where the
position part only applies to the first frame (i.e. it's put into
initial-frame-alist).  But with a daemon, there's simply no
initial frame.

You can still get what you want by specifying the position in
default-frame-alist (in your .emacs).

        Stefan