Subject: bug#13727: 24.3.50; terminal emacs flickers when redrawing frame

From: "Jose A. Ortega Ruiz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 18:51:19 +0100

On Thu, Feb 21 2013, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: "Jose A. Ortega Ruiz" <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 07:45:04 +0100
>> 
>> - start emacs with -daemon -Q
>> - open an X client (emacsclient -c)
>> - start composing a bug email, using report-emacs-bug
>> - open a terminal client (emacsclient -t), keeping the X one open
>> - go to the email buffer in the terminal client and modify it: every now
>>   and then i can see its lines repainting if i move around, but not
>>   always; a systematic way of making it flicker seems to be doing C-c
>>   C-k and, when the yes/no prompt in the minibuffer appears, start
>>   typing there.
>
> Thanks, but... how is this situation (when the same buffer is edited
> in two different frames of 2 different types) interesting?

Only in that it is the only reliable way of showing the flickering in
redisplaying windows in terminal sessions i've found, besides Gnus.

(Incidentally, i wouldn't say that displaying the same buffer in two
clients is "strange," but anyway, it's not needed for other flickers to
happen.)

> Does the flickering you see in Gnus also happen in such strange
> setups?

In Gnus, the redrawing is more apparent because there are 3 buffers and
hence 3 modelines, and the flicker is more visible when it happens in
modelines (when browsing email folders in Gnus, the three modelines
sometimes change simultaneously).  The flickering there doesn't need the
same buffer open in two different frame types.

Cheers,
jao