Subject: bug#13726: closed (Re: bug#13726: 24.2; OS X crashes when closing emacs with /sudo:: buffers.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 00:21:03 +0000

Your bug report

#13726: 24.2; OS X crashes when closing emacs with /sudo:: buffers.

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
13726: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=13726
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#13726: 24.2; OS X crashes when closing emacs with /sudo:: buffers.
From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
To: David Alkire <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 19:19:28 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

tags 13726 notabug
thanks

> When running emacs in OS X using the -nw flag, if I open a few buffers
> with sudo privs using C-x C-f /sudo::/path/to/file (Tramp), when I close
> emacs later in the day, it crashes the whole OS and my computer restarts.

If the OS crashes, it means there's a bug in the OS, not in Emacs.
Of course, it might be triggered by a bug in Emacs, but we can't really
investigate it when the OS crashes from under us.

        Stefan

Subject: 24.2; OS X crashes when closing emacs with /sudo:: buffers.
From: David Alkire <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 18:01:14 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When running emacs in OS X using the -nw flag, if I open a few buffers
with sudo privs using C-x C-f /sudo::/path/to/file (Tramp), when I close
emacs later in the day, it crashes the whole OS and my computer restarts.

In GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin11.4.2, X toolkit, Xaw scroll bars)
 of 2012-11-03 on David-Alkires-MacBook-Air.local
Configured using:
 `configure '--with-jpeg=no' '--with-png=no' '--with-gif=no'
 '--with-tiff=no''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Conf[WinIni]

Minor modes in effect:
  my-keys-minor-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  global-linum-mode: t
  linum-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
ESC [ > 0 ; 9 5 ; c C-s s h o r t C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s
RET C-e ESC DEL ESC x e m TAB a TAB r TAB DEL ESC DEL
ESC DEL SPC r C-e r e p TAB o r TAB TAB - TAB RET s
u d o SPC m a c SPC c r a s h RET ESC O B ESC O B ESC
O B ESC O B ESC O C RET C-x k RET ESC x r e p TAB o
TAB r TAB RET

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Mark saved where search started
byte-code: Buffer is read-only: #<buffer php.ini>
Making completion list...
byte-code: Text is read-only: #<buffer  *Minibuf-1*>
call-interactively: Text is read-only
Making completion list... [2 times]
Contacting host: debbugs.gnu.org:80
Reporting new bug!
Making completion list... [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
~/.emacs.d/magit/rebase-mode hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/rebase-mode
~/.emacs.d/magit/magit hides /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/magit
~/.emacs.d/magit/magit-wip hides /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/magit-wip
~/.emacs.d/magit/magit-topgit hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/magit-topgit
~/.emacs.d/magit/magit-svn hides /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/magit-svn
~/.emacs.d/magit/magit-stgit hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/magit-stgit
~/.emacs.d/magit/magit-key-mode hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/magit-key-mode
~/.emacs.d/magit/magit-blame hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/magit-blame
~/.emacs.d/magit/magit-bisect hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/magit-bisect
~/.emacs.d/starttls hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/gnus/starttls

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr wid-edit network-stream url-cache url-http tls
url-gw url-auth url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-util url-parse auth-source eieio gnus-util
password-cache url-vars mailcap emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode view misearch multi-isearch conf-mode
coffee-mode-autoloads nlinum-autoloads svg-clock-autoloads package
tabulated-list pbcopy edmacro kmacro solarized-dark-theme
solarized-definitions magit-bisect magit-key-mode magit diff-mode
log-edit easy-mmode pcvs-util add-log php-mode etags ring cc-langs
speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe assoc haml-mode help-fns derived js
time-date byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv macroexp json imenu
thingatpt newcomment cc-mode cc-fonts easymenu cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs css-mode ruby-mode
regexp-opt cl starttls linum tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs
button faces cus-face files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process dynamic-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty
emacs)