Subject: bug#13702: 24.3.50; dired-do-rename: Mysterious error "(file-error Getting ACL no such file or directory <existing file>)"

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 22:51:13 +0100

In dired, R (rename) a file from a local directory to an NFS mounted
directory.  The error is:

Move `/Users/cabo/demo0/y' to `/net/ull.local/Volumes/buf2b/demo1/y' failed:
(file-error Getting ACL no such file or directory /Users/cabo/demo0/y)

The file very well does exist.  *Directories* can be moved with R,
just files can't.  The file can be moved locally between directories 
or from one NFS mounted directory to another NFS mounted directory.  
Just not from a local filesystem to the NFS mounted directory 
or the other way around.  (System command "mv" succeeds.)

(Unfortunately, the error is hidden from "Enter Debugger on Error", so
I didn't investigate further.)

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS apple-appkit-1038.36)
 of 2013-02-01 on bob.porkrind.org
Bzr revision: 111648 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1187
Configured using:
 `configure --host=x86_64-apple-darwin --build=i686-apple-darwin
 --with-ns'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Dired by name

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-x C-f . <return> R / n e t / u l l .  l o c a l / V o l <tab> b u f 2
b / d e m o 1 / <return> <menu-bar> <help-menu> <send-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
ls does not support --dired; see `dired-use-ls-dired' for more details.
Move `/Users/cabo/demo0/y' to `/net/ull.local/Volumes/buf2b/demo1/y' failed:
(file-error Getting ACL no such file or directory /Users/cabo/demo0/y)

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils dired-aux dired time-date tooltip
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process ns multi-tty emacs)