Subject: Re: bug#13692: mouse clicks in vc-dir buffers accidentally changing marks

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2021 16:05:05 +0200

On 30.01.2021 08:21, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> Not sure if we should close this now.
> 
> I think we should make the "*" area also clickable -- I think that's the
> most confusing part here now (that only clicking the status area toggles
> the "*", and clicking the "*" itself doesn't do anything).

I don't know if it's so confusing: after all, we have mouse-face to let 
the user know which area can be interacted with mouse clicks. The 
asterisk is not highlighted, so it's not clickable.

We can change that, but how? Extend highlighting to the asterisk column? 
On all lines, whether the asterisk is there or not?

The way that the button currently starts where the text starts looks 
tidy and nice, IMHO.

>> While we're on the subject of buttons, I think it's odd that mouse-1
>> and mouse-2 routinely do the same thing, here and in other cases
>> (e.g. links in Compilation buffers). But I suppose this is outside of
>> scope for this discussion.
> 
> Yeah, the mouse thing is pretty confusing, but the
> `mouse-1-click-follows-link' variable can be set to change the
> behaviour.

All right.

And I guess (setq mouse-1-click-follows-link nil) can be a solution for 
the original complaint here.