Subject: bug#13691: closed (Re: bug#13691: 24.3.50; Problem with glyphs in unibyte buffers)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2021 18:46:01 +0000

Your bug report

#13691: 24.3.50; Problem with glyphs in unibyte buffers

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
13691: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=13691
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#13691: 24.3.50; Problem with glyphs in unibyte buffers
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Eduardo Ochs <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2021 12:45:43 -0600
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Eduardo Ochs <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> It seems that the bug is solved in Emacs26. I don't have Emacs27
>>> or git Emacs in this machine, but I will compile them tomorrow
>>> and check.
>>>
>>> The shell script that I used to do the test is below (for the sake of
>>> completeness). It creates two very similar files that only differ in
>>> their "coding:" lines and then opens them with "emacs26 -Q". After
>>> opening each of them you will have to run `M-x eval-buffer' and then
>>> do a `C-x C-e' after the `(insert ...)' line close to the end.
>>
>> Thanks, please report back with your findings.  (Chances are the bug is
>> fixed if it works on Emacs 26, but it's always good to know for sure.)
>
> That was 12 weeks ago.  Did you have time to test if the bug is fixed on
> Emacs 27?
>
> If I don't hear back from you within a couple of weeks, I'll just assume
> this has been fixed and close this bug.  Thanks in advance.

No reply within 5 weeks, so I'm assuming that this has been fixed and
I'm closing this bug.

If this is still an issue, please reply to this email (use "Reply to
all" in your email client) and we can reopen the bug report.

Subject: 24.3.50; Problem with glyphs in unibyte buffers
From: Eduardo Ochs <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 23:37:11 -0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

In Emacs24 if I run the code below to define glyphs for the characters
171 and 187 the effect is different on unibyte (i.e., "coding:
raw-text-unix") and non-unibyte buffers, as shown in the attached
screenshot.

My guess is that for some range of characteres that includes 171 and
187 - but not 15, see the screenshot - the glyph lookup is either
disabled in unibyte buffers or it is done using some range translation
that I wasn't able to figure out what is.

Here is the test code:

--snip--snip--

cat > /tmp/g <<'%%%'
(progn

(menu-bar-mode 0)
(tool-bar-mode 0)
(scroll-bar-mode -1)

(defun eepitch-set-glyph (pos &optional char face)
  (aset standard-display-table pos
	(if char (vector (make-glyph-code char face)))))

(if (not standard-display-table)
    (setq standard-display-table (make-display-table)))

(defface eepitch-star-face
  '((t (:foreground "red")))
  "Face used for the red star glyph (char 15).")

(defface eev-glyph-face-green
  '((t (:foreground "green")))
  "Face used for the green glyphs (`<<' and `>>', chars 171 and 187).")

(eepitch-set-glyph ?\^O ?* 'eepitch-star-face)
(eepitch-set-glyph 171 171 'eev-glyph-face-green)
(eepitch-set-glyph 187 187 'eev-glyph-face-green)

(insert "\n;; " 15 171 187)

)

;; Local Variables:
;; coding:            raw-text-unix
;; End:
%%%

emacs23          -fg bisque -bg black -fn 6x13 -Q /tmp/g
emacs24-from-git -fg bisque -bg black -fn 6x13 -Q /tmp/g

--snip--snip--

  Cheers, thanks in advance =),
    Eduardo Ochs
    [email-masked]
    http://angg.twu.net/
    http://angg.twu.net/#eev

P.S.: I use glyphs a lot in my personal files (see
<http://angg.twu.net/glyphs.html>), and a few glyphs - 3, actually -
in a package that I would like to include in Emacs in a few more
months or years: <http://angg.twu.net/#eev>... I tried to keep this
first bug report quite concise, but I may have tests ready for several
other related cases where the behaviors of Emacs24 were a bit
unexpected to me...

P.P.S.: the Emacs23 used for comparison was the standard one in Debian
Squeeze,

  GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1) of
    2013-01-08 on murphy, modified by Debian

and the extra info for my Emacs24 from the git repository (I ran it
with "-Q") follows below.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.2 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1)
 of 2013-02-11 on varda
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10707000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.6 (squeeze)

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: C
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty emacs)