Subject: Re: bug#13686: hi-yellow vs. hi-lock-1

From: David Koppelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2013 13:54:55 -0600

> From: Jambunathan K <kjambunathan <at> gmail.com>
>
> It is difficult for me to believe that the original design intent was to
> "cover color space".

There was no conscious effort to evenly cover the color space. The
idea was to choose colors that looked right for highlighting, with the
default set to background yellow, as is customary. Some faces are
provided as foreground-bold colors, and one as an alternate font.

I did not design hi-lock for automatically rotating faces and I
personally don't like automatic rotation for two reasons. First, it
assumes that the user wants a different color for each highlighting
pattern, which may often be the case, but not always. Second, I think
it's better when the user explicitly controls the color, so that there
is a better connection between the color and whatever it is the
targets signify.

That said, I don't object to re-selecting the colors to be more evenly
spaced perceptually. But, there should still be foreground-bold
variants.