Subject: Re: bug#13686: hi-yellow vs. hi-lock-1

From: Jambunathan K <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2013 00:13:00 +0530

Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> writes:

>> And that's the point.  `hi-yellow' is not a great name for a customizable face.
>
> `hi-yellow' is a meaningful name.  Together with other complementary
> faces they cover the whole color space.  

It is difficult for me to believe that the original design intent was to
"cover color space".

    hi-black-b
    hi-black-hb
    hi-blue
    hi-blue-b
    hi-green
    hi-green-b
    hi-pink
    hi-red-b
    hi-yellow

You see there are two blacks, two blues and two greens. Try

        C-u M-x list-colors-display RET hi- RET

and convince yourself how close or far away it is from covering the
whole "color space".  It seems like a mixed bag.  If there is a design,
I am not seeing it.

But your suggestion that the colors should distributed on the color
wheel sounds appealing.  I propose:

1. hi-lock-color-* prefix for these faces and add more colors.  How many
   do you want.  8 or 12 would be a good start.

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Html_colors#HTML_color_names
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Html_colors#X11_color_names

ps:  I know how to alias faces.  But how do I obsolete faces.

Can someone hammer out the fine details for me?  Should be copy-pasta
work once there is some consensus or agreement.

> If you don't want the default yellow color, you can customize it to
> another shade of yellow, e.g. "Light Goldenrod Yellow".  If you want a
> shade of green, customize `hi-green' and use it, etc.
>
> OTOH, face names like `hi-lock-1' or `hi-lock-2' are meaningless.
> What does the number 1 or 2 mean?  Compare them with other faces
> that have a number in their names where the number in `info-title-1',
> `gnus-cite-1', `outline-1', `org-level-1' means the nesting level.
>
> What could be improved is `hi-lock-face-defaults' to specify
> a color palette like in `vc-annotate-color-map' that produces
> such color gradient face names as `vc-annotate-face-DDFF3F'
> (note that the hex number "DDFF3F" is still meaningful in the face name).