Subject: 24.2; Emacs 24.2 triggers Mac OS X 10.8.2 kernel panic

From: Zhiming Wang <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2013 20:45:16 -0800

From: Zhiming Wang <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: 24.2; Emacs 24.2 triggers Mac OS X 10.8.2 kernel panic
--text follows this line--
This bug report will be sent to the Bug-GNU-Emacs mailing list
and the GNU bug tracker at debbugs.gnu.org.  Please check that
the From: line contains a valid email address.  After a delay of up
to one day, you should receive an acknowledgement at that address.

Please write in English if possible, as the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators for other languages.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug, and
the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give a recipe
starting from `emacs -Q':

Whenever I use Emacs 24.2 latex mode to edit tex files for a
considerable
amount of time successively (for instance, ten minutes) without leaving
Emacs, then when I try to quit Emacs either by C-x C-c or forcing
closing terminal window, it will always     trigger    OS X 10.8.2
kernel panic
(then the machine automatically will reboot due to the panic).  

I've tried to use 24.2 built from release tar ball from         GNU FTP,
and
binary executable coming with Emacs.app (Emacs application for OS X),
but they have exactly the same problem.

I have experienced the problem for more than ten times in the last week
(I just            migrated to Emacs for LaTeX, so     the problem began
from the very
first day. And there is no exception--Emacs will always crash the
machine after a considerable amount of time.) I haven't tested other
modes, because I do other development, for example CC mode, on Linux
platform, and there hasn't been any problem ever since I updated to
24.2. I   haven't   tested latex mode on earlier versions, either.

RECIPE:

platform: Mac OS X 10.8.2
platform: Terminal.app
shell: bash

1. load emacs-24.2      with some .tex file

2. work with it for ten minutes without quitting emacs (maybe more?
Anyway,
thirty minutes will be more than enough to trigger the bug)

3. C-x C-c

4. kernel panic; machine automatically reboot

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin12.2.1, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2013-02-06 on zmwang-2.local
Configured using:
 `configure '--with-jpeg=no' '--with-gif=no' '--with-tiff=no''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: LaTeX

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  auto-insert-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
c SPC O S SPC X SPC 1 0 . 8 . 2 RET p l a t f o r m 
: SPC T e r m i n a l . a p p RET s h e l l : SPC b 
a s h RET RET 1 . SPC l o a d SPC e m a c s - 2 4 . 
2 TAB w i t h SPC s o m e SPC . t e x SPC f i l e RET 
RET 2 . SPC w o r k SPC w i t h SPC i t SPC f o r SPC 
t e n SPC m i n u t e s SPC w i t h o u t SPC q u i 
t t i n g SPC e m a c s SPC ( m a y b e SPC m o r e 
? SPC A n y w a y , RET t h i r t y SPC m i n u t e 
s SPC w i l l SPC b e SPC m o r e SPC t h a n SPC e 
n o u g h SPC t o SPC t r i g g e r SPC t h e SPC b 
u g ) RET RET 3 . SPC C - x SPC C - c RET RET 4 . SPC 
k e r n e l SPC p a n i c ; SPC m a c h i n e SPC a 
u t o m a t i c a l l y SPC r e b o o t C-c C-c y e 
s RET ESC x r e p o r t TAB RET

Recent messages:
Checking 24 files in /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/cedet...
Checking 57 files in /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/calendar...
Checking 87 files in /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/calc...
Checking 65 files in /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/obsolete...
Checking 1 files in /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/leim...
Checking for load-path shadows...done
Auto-saving...done
Sending...
Sending via mail...
Sending...done

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(mailalias mailclient browse-url newcomment help-mode view shadow sort
gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils tex-mode compile shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring
latexenc time-date autoinsert cus-edit easymenu cus-start cus-load
wid-edit cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs regexp-opt tooltip
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dynamic-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)