Subject: bug#1368 closed by Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> (Re: bug#1368: Confusing documentation for c-tab-always-indent)

From: [email-masked] (Emacs bug Tracking System)

This is an automatic notification regarding your bug report
which was filed against the emacs,cc-mode package:

#1368: Confusing documentation for c-tab-always-indent

It has been closed by Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
1368: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=1368
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems
>From [email-masked] Mon Dec  1 19:38:55 2008
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: bug#1368: Confusing documentation for c-tab-always-indent
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 22:38:27 -0500

2008-12-02  Glenn Morris  <[email-masked]>

  * progmodes/cc-vars.el (c-tab-always-indent, c-insert-tab-function):
  Doc fix.  (Bug#1368)

>From [email-masked] Tue Nov 18 03:48:32 2008
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 12:48:15 +0100 (CET)
From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Confusing documentation for c-tab-always-indent

The docstring says:

  Note: The value of `indent-tabs-mode' will determine whether a real
  tab character will be inserted, or the equivalent number of spaces.
  When inserting a tab, actually the function stored in the variable
  `c-insert-tab-function' is called.

But this is not quite true. As far as I can tell from the code, 
indent-tabs-mode is not tested before calling c-insert-tab-function. What 
the documentation seems to mean is that if c-insert-tab-function has its 
default definition, insert-tab, then the first sentence applies. I suggest 
therefore the following paragraph in place of the above:

  The function stored in the variable `c-insert-tab-function' is called
  when a tab is to be inserted.  By default, this function is `insert-tab',
  which uses the value of `indent-tabs-mode' to determine whether a real
  tab character will be inserted, or the equivalent number of spaces.

-- 
http://rrt.sc3d.org/ | fantasize, a.  the largest you can imagine