Subject: bug#13677: 24.2.50; workng on remote hosts with eshell is not very enjoyable

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 17:32:30 +0100

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> Every stat command starts a new tramp process, which, in my case, takes
>>> about 3-4 seconds to get going and renders eshell fairly useless for
>>> this kind of work.
>
> I think you want to enable "ControlPersist" and/or related options in
> your ~/.ssh/config, so that only the first ssh needs to authenticate and
> subsequent ones just reuse the connection already setup by the first.

I've committed a patch to Tramp to use ControlMaster=auto whenever
possible. This might speed up remote processes a little bit, but most of
the startup time is still spent in Tramp's hand-shaking.

It would be good if we could have a mechanism to say eshell, whether an
external command shall run synchronously or asynchronously. I doubt,
that there will be a clever automatic detection. Eshell cannot know in
advance, wheter an external command is interactive, or not.

>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.