Subject: Re: bug#1367: #1367 - 23.0.60; Mailto service won't work - Emacs bug report logs

From: Adrian Robert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 21:51:01 -0500

On Nov 21, 2008, at 8:36 PM, YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu wrote:

>>>>>> On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 16:00:47 -0500, Adrian Robert <[email-masked] 
>>>>>> > said:
>
>> On the other hand, if the mailto: mapping results in some random
>> applescript command being sent to Emacs, then what is needed is an
>> enhancement.  I am unfamiliar with how standardized the various
>> applescript things a well-behaved OS X application should respond to
>> is.  Is there documentation on this somewhere?  Also, I don't know
>> if you are familiar with Cocoa programming, but I wonder if there is
>> an NSApp delegate method or a notification that could be registered
>> for, avoiding the need to parse applescript.  (This is the way,
>> e.g., double-clicking associated files in the Finder can open them
>> in Emacs.app.)
>
> You don't need to "parse" AppleScript.  What Carbon or Cocoa
> applications receive is an Apple event:

Thanks.. right, I meant "parse Apple Events" -- basically a property  
list, but I've seen some pretty voluminous code to do this, and you  
need to know some agreed conventions.  In this case though, as you  
say, this gets handled under a standardized "GetURL" pattern, and it  
appears from the docs you cite that Cocoa does most of the actual  
parsing.

Now the main decision is whether to go for a general AE facility, or  
just implement a kAEGetURL handler.

thanks,
Adrian