Subject: bug#13646: Whitespace support for file/mode-specific styles and actions

From: Christopher Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 17:00:41 +0000 (GMT)

Didier Verna <[email-masked]> writes:
> Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> I really would much rather improve the generic settings code.
>
> I understand. Looks like a lot of work though, and in the meantime, I
> don't think it hurts to have a workaround, even package-specific.

-1

Having three user options that take precedence upon each other, with a
subset of them being safe local variables, is scary.  This can break
regular user setups and third party packages big time.  Even worse, the
work around your workaround is not trivial.

I do not see any need for such an intrusive change in the first place.
You can easily implement what you did there using find-file-hook,
after-change-major-mode-hook in combination with an independent global
minor mode.

        Christopher