Subject: Re: bug#13646: Whitespace support for file/mode-specific styles and actions

From: Didier Verna <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 09:55:29 +0100

I wrote:

>   Yes indeed (I since read the relevant documentation). The problems
>   that remain, AFAUI, are
>
>    1/ as you said, the (current) lack of support for regexp-based dir
>    (or file, for that matter) specification,
>    2/ the fact that eventually, the settings turn into buffer-local
>    variables.
>
>    Also, correct me if I'm wrong but I think that Custom is totally
>    unaware of the dir-locals feature, so this is less user-friendly than
>    a package-specific solution.

  I tried to play a little more with dir-locals and I see yet another
  limitation: it seems that there's no way to accumulate values across
  settings for different directories in the same tree.

  For example, I may create a class CLASS in my init file with some
  variable settings for it, and put "/usr/local/" in that
  class. However, since "/usr/local/src/emacs/emacs.git" has a
  .dir-locals.el file, my settings for "/usr/local" won't apply.

  Stefan, is there a chance to see my whitespace.el modifications
  applied eventually ?

-- 
Resistance is futile. You will be jazzimilated.

Scientific site:   http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~didier
Music (Jazz) site: http://www.didierverna.com