Subject: Re: bug#13646: Whitespace support for file/mode-specific styles and actions

From: Didier Verna <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2013 23:00:02 +0100

Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> wrote:

> It hasn't been said explicitly in this report AFAICS, but you don't
> need a dir-locals.el file to use directory local settings. You can do
> it in .emacs with dir-locals-set-directory-class. See

  Yes indeed (I since read the relevant documentation). The problems
  that remain, AFAUI, are

   1/ as you said, the (current) lack of support for regexp-based dir
   (or file, for that matter) specification,
   2/ the fact that eventually, the settings turn into buffer-local
   variables.

   Also, correct me if I'm wrong but I think that Custom is totally
   unaware of the dir-locals feature, so this is less user-friendly than
   a package-specific solution.

-- 
ELS 2013, June 3/4, Madrid, Spain:  http://els2013.european-lisp-symposium.org

Scientific site:   http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~didier
Music (Jazz) site: http://www.didierverna.com