Subject: Re: bug#13644: String read syntax should allow "\(" to mean "("

From: Andy Wingo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2013 09:54:55 +0100

On Thu 07 Feb 2013 10:12, David Kastrup <[email-masked]> writes:

> Rationale: GUILE already supports a number of escapes not defined in the
> Scheme standard.  Emacs Lisp modes and derivative modes treat opening
> parens in the first column of a file specially, resynchronizing function
> boundaries.  The respective manual entry states:
>
> <URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Left-Margin-Paren.html>
>
> Being able to escape opening parens makes it possible to write
> Emacs-friendly Guile code.

It's not a bad idea.  I'm hesitant to add new string syntax, though, and
would appreciate input from other people before going ahead with this.

You can of course work around this with hex escapes, though that is not
very readable.

Andy
-- 
http://wingolog.org/