Subject: Re: bug#13636: 24.3.50; tramp+ftp broken

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2013 17:14:50 +0100

Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Thierry,

>> Tramp does not touches .netrc. ange-ftp shouldn't either, and there
>> haven't been recent changes I'm aware of.
>>
>> Hmm, unfortunately the most interesting part of the backtrace is byte
>> code. Could you, please, remove all *.elc from the lisp/ directory (and
>> subdirectories)? This might give us a better backtrace.
> Still have some byte-code, but more informative though.
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument stringp nil)
>   signal(wrong-type-argument (stringp nil))
>   byte-code("\301@A\"\207" [err signal] 3)
>   ange-ftp-hook-function(file-remote-p "/ftp:mafreebox.freebox.fr:" nil nil)

Still not sufficient. I don't see where (stringp nil) is called.
"/ftp:mafreebox.freebox.fr:" is a string (obviously). The other
parameters of `file-remote-p' are optional, it is OK to be nil.

What happens, if you eval in your *scratch* buffer

(file-remote-p "/ftp:mafreebox.freebox.fr:" nil nil)

What happens, if you move your ~/.netrc away (temporarily)?

Best regards, Michael.